miércoles, junio 29, 2005

¿Y si murieras hoy?

Esa fue la pregunta que golpeó a Steve Jobs - el fundador de Apple Computer - cuando tenía 17 años, explicó al dar un discurso el pasado 12 de Junio en la Universidad de Stanford.

"When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: 'If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right.' It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' And whenever the answer has been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

En otra parte dice: "...
Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers."

Muchos viven pensando que lo harán para siempre, posponiendo decisiones o llevandola sólo en piloto automático. Se la viven engañando a los demás, y lo que es peor, a ellos mismos, ya que nunca saben quienes realmente son, viviendo vidas prestadas en base a lo que ordenan implicitamente o explicitamente los demás. El vernos en el espejo en la mañana y pensar que quizá ese puede ser nuestro último día, nos puede ayudar a ver ésto en perspectiva. Que más allá de titulos, dinero, premios, honores, lo único que es nuestro - y que nos hace realmente humanos, es el amor.

(vía Andrew Sullivan)

No hay comentarios.: